ReCycle from Propellerhead Software is an audio tool for manipulating rhythmic loops or any material that has a distinctive and repeating pulse. The software analyzes the loop and then cuts up the individual events into slices according to the user’s preference as to how big or small the slices should be. Basically, ReCycle is great a tool for quickly editing sampled parts, chopping up riffs, remixing, and doing mash ups.
Once the sampled material has been analyzed, it’s possible to alter the tempo, or replace sounds and process them individually. Additionally, none of the processing sounds unnatural because rather than stretching individual samples in a loop to make it slower, the software changes the space between the events without introducing any choppiness.
Slices can be moved, auditioned, or deleted, using on-screen tools and controls. Other tools allow for setting the length, attack, and decay of the slices. Slicing a loop also provides individual control over both the sound of the slices and the timing. Rearrange the loop, change the feel of it, replace parts of the loop with other samples, pitch it, and much more.
Signal processing includes compression, EQ, and a Transient Designer for imparting some punch and distinction, all of which can be applied to the loop non-destructively, and saved as a new file. The resulting REX files can be imported into any music software that supports the format, which basically includes all the major music software titles.
- Groove problem solving and cleaning software
- Silence and move individual hits, and change volume and panning of slices in a mix
- Replace individual slices with custom samples
- Create new variations and fills out of the single custom-built phrase
- Use envelope, transient shaper, and EQ to energize a loop
- Automatically isolate and extract individual sounds from long samples
- Use the feel of the groove to quantize other MIDI recordings
- Software titles that support the REX format
- Ableton Live
- Steinberg Cubase
- MOTU Digital Performer
- Image-Line FL Studio
- Apple Logic
- Steinberg Nuendo
- Avid Pro Tools
- Cockos Reaper
- Propellerhead Reason
- Cakewalk Sonar
- Presonus Studio One
- Native Instruments Kontakt
- Native Instruments Maschine
- MOTU MachFive
- Steinberg HALion
- Spectrasonics Stylus RMX
- SonomaWireWorks RiffWorks
- SonomaWireWorks DrumCore
- Toontrack Beatstation
- Avid Transfuser
- fxpansion Geist